Names of the corners at the Zandvoort circuit

All names of the corners wich we treat over here are all the ones without a sponsor name like 'Kuhmo-corner' wich are bought by a sponsor.

1) Tarzan: The worldfamous Tarzan-corner is  named after one of the machines they used to make the asphalt over here. This machine was called 'Tarzan'.
There is an other story about the name wich is really a myth. This myth is about a huge man nicknamed 'Tarzan' who had a garden over here in the dunes by the time the circuit was built. This huge guy would not leave in order to built the racetrack and even the local police were to affraid for this big man to send him and his garden away.
'Tarzan' and his garden would only dissapear if they named the turn after him so the did says this myth.

2) Gerlach:  In 1957 an accident killed Dr.W.Gerlach at this turn. This crash was the first deadly one since the opened the circuit in 1948.

3) Hugenholtz: When the first director of the circuit, Hans Hugenholtz, left they could not find a proper gift for his work he did for the circuit and motorsports in general in the Netherlands. To honor him they decided to name this corner into Hugenholtz.

4) Hunzerug: Named after Dhr. Hunze who got the briljant idea to led the track uphill over here instead of arround this dune ('rug' is a Dutch word for a little hill)

5) Jan de Wijker zijn veld, later on  Rob Slotemaker: Arround 1800 a man called  'Jan de Wijker' had a potato-field over here and since that time the people in the area called this part of the dunes 'Jan de Wijker z'n veld' (the field of 'Jan de Wijker´).
Later the circuit decided to name this sweeping fast corner 'Rob Slotemaker'.  Slotemaker was a succesfull Dutch driver and also a mentor of many following Dutch racedrivers like Jan Lammers for example. Slotemaker also started a 'anti-slip' school for people to gain more experience with their driving-abilities. In 1979 Slotemaker died at this part of the racetrack when he hit a medical-car wich stood allong side track for an other competitor wich spun off due to oil on the tarmac.

6) Scheivlak: The name of this fast downhill turn comes from arround 1800. It was the border between the public dunes and the lands of  Duke Quarles van Ufford. (Scheivlak litterly means 'Divide field') 

7) Hondenvlak, later Marlboro , nowadays Masters
In the 18th century it was forbidden for the citizens of Zandvoort to keep dogs. But most fisherman needed them because the had dog-carriots wich they used to transport their fresh fish to the town of Haarlem to sell it over there.
Because of this prohibition people made all kinds of doghouses over there and that's why this part of the dunes were called Hondenvlak (Dogs fields). Nowadays still a kennel lays at the outside of the Zandvoort track at this part of the dunes.
From 1999 the 'new' Masters-corner lays overhere. The corner first named 'Marlboro'-corner but within restrictions of the law  they decided to name the corner Masters later on. The named it after the succesfull (Marlboro) Masters of F3 events wich took place in Zandvoort from 1991 and kept the circuit in international attention once a year.

8) Tunnel Oost: This corner was called after the eastern tunnel wich provided the acces to the sports-accomodations on the innerfields of the old racetrack. Nowadays the sport-accomodations are at the outside of the track so the eastern tunnel does not excists anymore. The western-tunnel still excist by the way, not as a name but as a passage underneath the straight to the paddock wich lays  in the infield of the Zandvoort circuit.

9) Bos In: Litterly 'Going into the forrest'. In the years before WW2 they manged to make a forrest over here (naturaly trees do not grow in the Dutch dunes) for  future leisure activities. In the sixties however some disease made an end of this forrest when 80% of all the trees were cut down.

10/11) Bos Uit, later Arie Luyendijkbocht: This long fast last turn of the circuit called Bos uit, litterly 'Going out of the forrest'. In 1989 when the circuit became shortend Bos Uit was put more up to north and the characteristics of the turn also changed because the corner was more tighten.
Because of this change of character and to honor a succesfull Dutch racedriver they later on decided to name the corner after 'Arie Luyendijk', the multiple winner of the Indianapollis 500.

12) Hans Ernst: This 'S-shaped'-turn first had all kinds of sponsor names like 'Nissan-corner'  and  'Audi-S'. At the end of 2013 however, it was named after Hans Ernst. Ernst was the director of the circuit from 1989 and maneged to keep the circuit financially healthy in the difficult times when the circuit was shortened and also made it possible to build the circuit back to a new track with normal (GP) lenght as the layout still excist today.


Het circuit van vroeger en van nu. De bochten die worden verklaard staat in het zwart en zijn genummerd van 1 t/m 12.